Sunday, August 08, 2004

I leave Canada in 3 days!

OK so my departure date of August 12th is looming near. When I booked my flight back in June and applied for my visa through Swap in May, August looked far away. But it's funny how time passes by so quickly.

Today I had a family gathering at my aunt's cottage. My dad had to embarass me and say "So how come you don't have a farewell party for my daughter?" This was followed by a simultaneous round of "Oh yeah, that's right she's going to Ireland for a year. When are you leaving?" And I knew that this would be followed by the inevitable set of questions that always seems to follow. "Do you have a job lined up? How can you go over with no job? Are you guaranteed a job?" I politely murmur that I do not have a job as of yet and I think that it's easier to go over and look for a job as employers prefer to meet with you face to face. Then the next question is "What about your living arrangments? Do you have a place to stay?" I again murmur politely that I will be living in a hostel initially and then looking for shared accommodation. The final question (and one that I truly hate) is "So why Ireland?" My question to them is why not Ireland? I know they're trying to be polite and mean well, but once you hear that question a gazillion times, it starts to get annoying.

I am excited yet nervous at the same time about the prospect of moving to Ireland. My major focus is going to be finding a job obviously. It's hard to know what to do. I do feel the need to do something teaching-related, but I also would not mind trying something new. And I have tons left to do. Still need to pack, update the resume, maybe last minute shop....make some phone calls and who knows. I do feel ready though...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home